Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sandwich Boats

So I have been slowly changing my diet. I have always been a vegetarian, same with the rest of my family, but I have been looking more closely into what I eat recently.


It started when I read Michael Pollen's, In Defense of Food, a great book that presents a cohesive argument about why we should be more aware of what we eat, where it comes from, what time of the year we eat things, etc. It is also what prompted me to eat mostly organic.


Anyways, I have recently been making an active effort to cut down on the amount of carbohydrates and gluten in my diet. Carbohydrates, that lovely thing bread is made of, is basically sugar. There have been plenty of arguments made that a lot of Western diseases stem from our diet heavy in carbohydrates, overuse of dairy, etc.


So I've been trying to change the carbohydrates that I eat in my life, trading in my regular pasta for less tasty, but still good whole wheat pasta. Trading in regular ride, for brown rice. Byebye white bread, hello 12 grain and whole wheat. Woah, tasty whole wheat pizza dough. 

Basically, switching from things that have a high glycemic index (things that are digested fast) with thing that are low glycemic index (things that are digested slowly). 



But somethings are just really good with just plain old all-purpose flour. Like baguettes. I found these really tasty rosemary olive oil baguettes, and we had some tasty goat cheese...so of course I had to do something with them.


But I didn't want all that bread...ergo...sandwich boats! 


Sandwich Boats
Your favorite baguette
Goat Cheese
Tomatoes
Spinach
Fresh basil leaves
Fresh mozarella balls
1 avocado
Fresh baby spinach
Your favorite dressing (mine is Brianna's Poppy Seed) 
Salt and pepper taste


Cut your baguette in half, and pull out the inside of the bread so it's mostly just the crunchy crust. Spread the goat cheese on the inside. Then put in the tomatoes and basil. 


Cut the avocado in half, and then scoop out the fruit onto the basil. Top it with the baby spinach, add the mozarella balls, put on the salt and pepper to taste. 


Then top with the dressing, and there you have it! A tasty, healthy sandwich!


You can put almost anything in this sandwich -- 
--pizza sauce, cheese, veggies = pizza


--cucumber, black olives, red onion, carrots, garbanzo beans with a olive oil vinaigrette  = Mediterranean sandwich


--Beans, cheese, guacamole, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream = mexican sandwich 


--Goat cheese, mascarpone, honey, cinnamon = dessert sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment