Monday, June 13, 2011

For H- (Black Bean Burgers)

So a while back, T- and I had a friend over for dinner...and I figured I'd try my hand at Homemade Black Bean Burgers. T- and I had started making black beans and keeping them in the fridge for random protein, plus they're tasty to have with anything...tacos, with eggs, etc. 

So I made them, and they turned out really good actually, and she asked me to post the recipe!...that was two months ago. 


Soooo...H-, this is for you. Black Bean Burgers, a la me. 
 Homemade Black Bean Burgers


1 can (16 oz.) black beans, T- and I used home-soaked black beans, so just guesstimate.
0.5 green bell pepper, chopped up
0.5 red onion, coarsely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped
1 egg white
1 tblsp. chili powder
1 tblsp. cumin
0.5 cup italian breadcrumbs 
chili sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste


Cut up all the veggies, and blend them together. Strain liquid out of the veggies completely. This is the most important step, if you don't strain the liquid out completely, then it will just keep the burgers from holding together. After you strain it, place the veggie mesh on to a paper towel to soak up more water.
In a separate bowl, mush up the black beans with a fork until it's thick and paste-y (there should still be some whole beans). Add in the strained veggies, and stir together. Add in salt and pepper to taste. 


In a small bowl, whisk together egg white, cumin, chili sauce, chili powder. Add that in to the mushed beans, and mix it all together. Mix in the bread crumbs in three parts, making sure that the bean mixture is sticky enough to form into balls, but not too dry. 



Form the mixture into small balls, and pat down into patties. 
You can either bake them at 375 by putting them on a lightly oiled baking sheet for 10 min, or you can grill them on foil, or you can do what I did, and cook them on a saute pan with a bit of olive oil and salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment