Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Favorites with an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cocoa Nib Cookie

I haven't posted since last year.


It's 2012! January 2nd, 2012 to be specific [well, when I first started writing this it was January 2nd]. A day of birth for my mother, the day before I go to work for me, and just another day of break for my graduate-student husband. Ahh, life. 


I haven't posted in a little while since I was enjoying break by indulging in a few books, a few glasses of wine, and a few interesting recipes. One of which is this oatmeal chocolate chip cocoa nib cookie, which is my new favorite I believe. 


So what happened this last year? 


Oh yeah, I began my second year of teaching, took a road trip up Highway 1 and saw the beauty of the California coast, turned in my application for medical school, worried over medical school applications, got accepted to medical school (!!!), planned a vacation with my best friend, got a second dog, oh yeah, and married my most wonderful man <3 


2011 was awesome. I feel lucky, I am lucky. 
So anyways, enough about me, let's talk about favorites...I figured my end of 2011 tribute would be a list of my favorite STUFF that I may or may not have found in 2011, but I did devour in 2011...enjoy! 


Favorite Blogs
Joy the Baker -- by far, she has the most beautiful pictures of food, and a very true to self voice in her writing. It always makes me smile.


101 Cookbooks -- Heidi Swan is awesome. She's got an awesome cookbook that I bought, Supernatural Everyday, and her blog is just that, supernatural. Filled with awesome, easy to do, vegetarian recipes. 


David Lebovitz -- He lives a life I dream of, in Paris. Also, he's a genius. Amazing black pepper chocolate ice cream. Amazing. 


ReadBreathRelax -- I love this blog. It's a woman who reads an obscene number of books, in the young adult, fantasy genre and reviews them. It's what stops me from looking around confused at the library :-) 


Hyperboleandahalf -- hilarious online comic strip, I love this woman.


Favorite Books
Most of the links are to a book review of these books


Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini -- basically a high school girl finds out she's a greek demi-god and awesomeness ensures.


The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross -- basically a girl finds out she's the daughter of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and awesomeness ensues.


The entire Mortal Instruments Series by Cassandra Clare -- basically a girl finds out she's part of an ancient, mysterious group of superhumans that protect the regular world, and awesomeness ensues.


The entire Infernal Devices Series by Cassandra Clare -- prequel to the Mortal Instruments Series, and awesomeness ensues.


Catching a pattern? Awesome female leads, and awesomeness always ensues. But sadly, nothing has come up to par with my all time favorite, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Series. 


Favorite Discoveries of the Year (or things I really used a LOT this year)
Google Reader -- Helps you compile all the detritus you read on the interwebs into one, easy to access place. LOVES it. 


Dropbox -- discovered this a while ago, but used it SO much this year to share resources with my other co-teachers, or even to make sure all the work I did on one computer was accessible from anywhere


iPhone -- I was late to this game but boy oh boy, I definitely see what all the hype is about. I thought I wouldn't need it or use it. Wow, I was wrong. 


The New York Times Op-Ed page including Paul Krugman, Maureen Dowd, and Gail Collins -- In the craziness that has been the 2010/2011 congressional elections and primary run, these wonderful op-ed contributors remind me of the sanity left in the world, and make me smile with their witty, and awesome commentary.


My Favorite Recipes/Posts
December -- Lemon Olive-Oil Kale Salad
November -- Pumpkin Pie Bars with a Hazelnut Almond Shortbread Crust
October -- Not So Slow Food 
September -- Homemade Sugar Scrub
August -- Shortchanging our Students. Shortchanging our Future.
July -- Raspberry White Balsamic Fruit Tart
June -- Weiner's Bride: An Example of Sexism in Politics
May -- Two of 'em! A Nice Guy and Should Gays Boycott Straight Weddings?
April -- President Obama 2012
March -- Springbreak + Chocolate Scones
February -- Lemon Curd
January -- Sweet Potato Pie


And of course, my first recipe of 2012, oatmeal chocolate, cocoa nib recipe below!


 Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cocoa Nib Cookies
Adapted from Joy the Baker


1 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
0.75 tsp salt
2.5 cups rolled oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
0.5 cups cocoa nibs


Preheat your oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 


In a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar for 3-5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Turn it off and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Then turn the mixer onto medium and cream in the two eggs. Then add in the vanilla. 


In a separate bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well, turn your stand mixer to low, and add in the flour mixture in until just incorporated. It's okay if there are little bits that aren't incorporated yet, you'll get to that later.

Then combine the oats, chocolate, and cocoa nibs in a bowl. Remove the stand-mixer bowl from the stand, and then using a spatula incorporate the oats-mixtures until it's all well mixed and there are no more extra bits of flour.


Then use a tablespoon to scoop out balls onto your baking sheet and bake for 10-13 minutes, or until the edges are brown and the middle looks only mildly goo-ey. Let them cool, and then eat 'em! 




Hope you had a wonderful 2011, and I really hope these cookies help you have an even better 2012 







No comments:

Post a Comment