Sunday, January 23, 2011

Revamp + Update since 12/27/2010

So I haven't updated this blog since before break. I've been back in school for a couple of weeks now, so I figured it was time to actually update this thing based on how I've been and also the changes and not so change-y changes in my life.

First of all, on 12/27/2010, while in CA, T- asked me to marry him. It was beautiful, because the way he chose to do it was so us...and it just showed me again why I know he's right for me. He packed a wonderful meal, complete with french fries, and we went to the beach, all bundled up (me with my new snuggie), and right at sunset, he asked...at first it was just a sweet shpeal about how much he loves me, how I'm his best friend...then I saw the box, and it was all blurry from there. I just know that I don't think I could have been happier at any moment, and I'm still reeling from it. It was amazing, and it couldn't have been more wonderful.

On to the revamp! So I started thinking about all the things I loved the most (besides T-, and Jacques, and family)...and it's of course food. I love food, what else could motivate me to write? So, I present to you FOOD. I'm going to try and make every post include at least one recipe that I've recently made and hopefully pictures...and of course my thoughts, etc. So for today: Sweet Potato Pie.


So T- and I were going over to our friend Mi-'s house last Saturday for dinner. Since we've been in Texas for a while, I decided to get my "southern" on and make a sweet potato pie, because heck, I've never had one and the prospect of turning a potato into a pie was fascinating...what was once a potato is now a PIE...albeit with many more calories, less nutritional value, and much tastier...

Anyways, I thought it'd be ridiculously difficult, the whole potato-to-pie deal, but it's not. I whipped up the filling in about forty-five minutes (including potato baking time), with some basic ingredients. The pie was a success -- it tasted creamy, cinnamon-y, and yummy. If you're a fan of pumpkin pie -- you'll love this. It's:

1, 1 lb. sweet potato
1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 a tsp. ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 unbaked pie crust (I used a butter crust and it turned out fantastic)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Boil the sweet potato for about 30-40 minutes until it's mash-able soft. After it's done, pull it out a peel off the skin. Using a fork, break apart the sweet potato in a bowl, and add in the butter and blend it together with a hand blender. When it's a smooth texture, add in the milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla. Blend it together until it's super-smooth, and a pour-able consistency.  After that, just pour it into your pie crust and bake it at 350 for 50-55 minutes or until the filling puffs up and browns slightly around the edges.

Enjoy with vanilla ice cream! Until next time...enjoy the pie, and I'm going to enjoy my time with my new fiance :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment