Monday, November 21, 2011

Bookish Review: The Beauty Queens

So one of my lovely friends gave me this book, The Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, for my birthday recently and I took it with me on my whirlwind interview week. After I finished my latest culinary mystery by Diane Davidson Mott, I started on this book, expecting it to take me a while.


Nope. Couldn't put it down. I finished it in two days and had to buy another book. Woe to airport taxes.


Anyways, this book is awesome if you're looking for something funny, refreshing, and with clear feminist tones to it. It's basically about a bunch of teen beauty queens whose plane crashes on a desert island. They are stranded on the island, and the book follows them as they figure out how to survive, take control of their situation, and learn more about themselves as people. It's plays on a lot of stereotypes and societal expectations of women in a hilarious way. It's kind of expected, so I don't think I'm spoiling anything--but these girls that depend on other people to take care of them (for the most part) become self-sufficient women on the island, becoming more self-confident and finding themselves...while being pretty bad ass.


It's great--if you like books with strong women, hilarious scenes involving a Palin-esque villain, and weird twists involving hair removal products, then you have to read this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment