Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chocolate Sprinkle Rice Krispies

My city is surprisingly green. When you think Texas, you think cowboy hats, boots, and Clint Eastwood. We have most of those things (sans Mr. Eastwood), but there are parts of this diverse state that are totally green, and my area is one of them. It's lush, while being hot, humid and muggy. 


Which is exactly how it's been this weekend. 100, and humid as hell's bath houses. I don't mind though, I've finally caved and turned on the AC--bill be damned! So it's a cool 84 in my house, which is surprisingly cool compared to the outside temperature. 


Gone are the days of sitting on the back porch, coffee in hand, wondering when the flowers would bloom. Instead, we have lovely sun flowers starting to bloom, gorgeous morning glories winding up our trellis, and random weeds peeking up out of the ground and blooming. But we also have unbearable heat that forces me to remain indoors and enjoy their beauty with my ice water. 


Anyways, now that the AC has made its way into our lives, I've gotten more hungry. You ever notice that? The cooler it is in the house, the hungrier you are? If it's hot, all you want to eat is ice and three pieces of lettuce (no dressing. too hot for dressing.) Yeah. That doesn't work for me. It's sends me into a pit of food-despair: wanting the taste in my mouth, but not the weight in my stomach (a weight compounded somehow by the humidity). 

So my first real AC recipe: rice krispies treats. But not just any! Chocolate sprinkle rice krispies treats. That's right, when I do RKs, I do 'em classy-like. 


This is a super easy dessert, and great if you need to take something quick, easy, and homemade into work. It really lakes very little time, but looks pretty. I got the idea when I was in Central Market, and saw these AWESOME RK treats with all kinds of treats on top, like nuts, sprinkles, marshmallows, etc. Anyways...enjoy! 


Chocolate Sprinkle Rice Krispies Treats 
Adapted from Kellogg's Rice Krispie's Recipe
4 cups mini-marshmallows (plain white, 1 pack) 
6 cups rice krispies
3 tbsp. butter
Extra butter to butter a pan
3 oz. chocolate (bittersweet, chopped) 
2 tbsp. heavy cream
Rainbow Sprinkles (or any other topping you want)


Cover a 9 x 13 in. pan with foil, and butter the foil pretty well (this stuff sticks).


Then in a medium saucepan or sautepan, melt the butter on low heat. Then add in the marshmellows. Keep in on medium-low heat and mix occasionally while the marshmallows melt. 


Meanwhile, in a large bowl, pour out 6 cups of rice krispies. After the marshmallows are melted, add it to the bowl. Mix well. Press this mixture into the pan evenly. Put it in the fridge for 20 min. 


Then in a medium saucepan, bring some water to a gentle simmer. Place a heat-proof bowl on top to create a double-boiler. Put in the chocolate and the heavy cream, and stir while the chocolate melts. When the chocolate has melted, remove bowl from the water and allow it to cool. 


While this is happening, pull out the RK treats from the fridge, and cut them into squares (as big as you'd like). 


When the chocolate has cooled a little, you can do two things: 


1. Dip the RK treats into the chocolate and sprinkle with the topping 


OR


2. Spoon the chocolate on with a teaspoon and then spread the topping. 


I did a little bit of both, and had more luck with the spooning chocolate, but hey, whatever works best for you. After you're done, refrigerate until chocolate has hardened and you're set! 



No comments:

Post a Comment