Tuesday, December 14, 2010

4 Days and my brain

Today is Tuesday, December 14th. It's four more days until it's Friday, December 17th, and that's when a two week break from my munchkins starts.

I know I just got back from an extended sick "break" which, trust me, isn't really a break. It's hard to relax when you're coughing up phlegm that is reminiscent of rotten jello -- both in taste and texture. mmm, tasty.

Anyways, I'm leaving to go to Phoenix over break. We finally found someone to take Jacques, thank god, or else it would have been somewhere in the neighborhood of 450 buckos to board his fluffy ass. While I do love him, that's going to be half of my expected January paycheck because I missed so many days of school.

I feel like I seriously have some weird luck following me:

October -- forgot my lunch a lot, tire blew out, lost my iTunes giftcards, lost my camera charger
November -- fell deathly ill. Need I say more?
December -- made lovely handmade holiday cards, like I always do, wrote them all, sealed them, addressed them, and lost them. Brilliant, no?

T- thinks I need to slow down. My problem is I move to fast, I think about the next thing ahead of what I'm doing, before I've even finished what I'm doing. His sagacious words are exactly what my mom's been saying to me for years. The "stop and smell the roses" stuff. Basically, just calm down, focus on what you're doing, if you're leaving a room, focus on just leaving the room, not what you're going to do after you leave the room, what you're going to eat for dinner when you get home, who's going to make dinner, who's going to clean up dinner, what you have to do after dinner, what time you're going to go to bed, or any number of things that are constantly floating through my head.

So my goal: focus on the moment. Put my brain into what I'm doing right now.

I'm not sure how well this will go considering I do think I have a stick shoved up my bum with regards to planning and thinking ahead, and I'm generally uptight.

But I'm also a winner, so if I put my mind to it, I can do it. For example -- my proud note, my nails are somewhat long! I did it! I've been focusing on the fact that I have to interact with my students and touch them on the shoulder to redirect them, and I just think about how icky some of my students are (personal hygiene is a problem, not by choice for some of them, which is sad). But, the ickiness prevents me from wanting to put my fingers in my mouth. So far, it's working.

Anyways, I have to go actually prep for today. It's an A day, thank god.

No comments:

Post a Comment